Breach of Peace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breach of Peace [BoP] clan of the postapocalyptic zombie game Zombie Pandemic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Artist Meeting Point

Go down 
+9
Litchy
Broberg
Ciriola
Ken T
Lubielle Flynn
Mayrheane
QJedi
Creyton
Mina
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Allete

The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: (Don't) Let the grammatically correct excrement hit the ventilation apparatus   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:02 am

Cadalbolg wrote:
That's why I hated English teachers but not English itself, I prefer to write informally as long as my spelling is correct and it gives you an idea...
Quite admirable, but not entirely applicable in the real world.

I'm not saying you're entirely in the wrong, there are great writers whom do not succumb to the utilization of standard grammar. One of which is a favorite poet of mine, e.e. cummings. But even e.e. cummings knew about proper grammar and poetic style before he laid waste to what people believed was the conventional use of punctuations and what not, from here bloomed his odd typography and impressionistic word order.
Even your Ms. Elizabeth Clarkson Zwart, a journalist from Iowa, was taught the basics of proper grammar. A Journalist's work is not worth reading if it is scatterbrained and shoddily written.

You say that "many found[sic] themselves comfortable reading and writing informally", but there is no such thing as an "informal method of reading" and even an informal writing style follows the standard grammar rules. You cannot just say "Let the grammatically correct excrement hit the ventilation apparatus!" and be done with it. You need to review, revise, and rewrite because honestly, no one likes to read a half-arsed story.

I do not mean to be harsh, but that is the general truth. It is not about lung capacity or what pleases you, it is about how your reader's take it. For what is a writer's purpose but to be read?

Danika_Valin From Literature Network Forums wrote:
When you throw away grammar, don't you throw away style and technique? Isn't a good writer one that can effectively use words and grammar and evoke an emotional response or a higher mode of thought in the reader? If we don't use the language as common ground for literature, how do we distinguish good writers from bad, true craft from pure nonsense? And what if the reader can't even understand the text?

Last edited by Allete on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cadalbolg

Cadalbolg

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't care about critics... cause my reasoning is that they're paid to criticize but I always admit... "They're right" (close resemblance to a really strict one: Simon Cowell)
I'm a writer but I make mistakes, shame on me (Truly that's always my reaction every time a publisher dumps me, but then again I remember I'm still a human I make errors, I'm no less than a zombie nor greater than a god[God, Zeus, Allah,... WHATEVER! I don't care about yours... Give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar, Give to Allah what belongs to Allah, Give to Buddah what belongs to Buddah, and give to God what belongs to God. PERIOD!...
affraid Atheist: but how about us Atheists?
Shocked Me: Thou shall not take what is not truly yours ...any problem?)

And that's why I'm still studying English...

"I take writing like listening to the radio I tune the knob to the left where there is the Proper Use of English, and to the right where people who are comfortable with books that clicks to their generation even if there are a few grammatical and spelling errors, cause if I go too much to the left, common people will not understand, and If I switch too much to the right decent people will be insulted with what I'm saying. We end up having a static, and people will get bored and tune out, lower the volume, or worse turn us OFF..."
-Bob Ong
Back to top Go down
http://24biteyes@wordpress.com (still under construction)
Ken T

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Lubielle Flynn wrote:
It's been a while... time for another family reunion and head count!

The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 37a36bb83f0056b941f8143c940f4de1-d49206d

Quite a mess for it's a non-scheduled gathering Rolling Eyes

Can the people be identified, Lub? Very Happy

So that we'll know who were there?
Back to top Go down
Mayrheane
Council Member
Council Member
Mayrheane

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Ken T wrote:
Lubielle Flynn wrote:

Now, now Kenny... Do I really need any more identifications? o.O
Back to top Go down
http://mayrheane.deviantart.com/journal/
Allete

PostSubject: This argument is the archetype of a circle.   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 am

Cadalbolg wrote:
I don't care about critics... cause my reasoning is that they're paid to criticize but I always admit... "They're right"...

I'm a writer but I make mistakes, shame on me... And that's why I'm still studying English...

I admit that I was a bit obnoxious on my previous post, but you have completely missed my point. If you write in a way people cannot understand, then it's useless.

Also, everyone makes mistakes (as if you even need to point that out).

There's no point in arguing about this anymore. Rather than make a fool out of myself, I'll stop it here. This thread was created for sharing creativity, not for debating.
Back to top Go down
Ken T

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:42 am

Mayrheane wrote:
Ken T wrote:
Lubielle Flynn wrote:

Now, now Kenny... Do I really need any more identifications? o.O

I have no problem identifying you, ma'am. I can't seem to identify all of those in the picture (people at the back). I've been tired from traveling from safehouse to safehouse, clearing zombies in their perimeters, and cleaning myself when I'm done (believe me, carving up zombies with this chainsaw gets really messy and bloody). Sad
Back to top Go down
Lubielle Flynn
Super Builder
Super Builder
Lubielle Flynn

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 am

@Ken You can click on the picture to view the names of the characters there in my DeviantArt page, in that rough order. You look pretty much the same as the last time, cowboy! Laughing

@Gator We just don't see each other much these days. He was one of my few closest friends.

@Mina Glad you liek it! The guy with gasmask is supposed to be Mangangali. He insisted he's an ugly guy and refused to show his face Rolling Eyes

@Cad They're mostly based on personalities I observed from the clan chat (R.I.P.) combined with my own imagination. And "Buddha" not "Buddah" Laughing
Back to top Go down
QJedi
Council Member
Council Member
QJedi

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 am

I'll edit and proofread anything you like, amigo. For free, as long as I get a credit. Wink

Lemme know if you really want it done Very Happy

I'll let the "you" shine through, no worries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Artist Meeting Point   The Artist Meeting Point - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Artist Meeting Point
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3